A crown, also known as a cap, is a type of dental restoration which completely caps or encircles a tooth or dental implant. Crowns are often needed when a large cavity threatens the ongoing health of a tooth. They are typically bonded to the tooth using dental cement. Crowns are often used to improve the strength or appearance of teeth.
Crowns can be made from all ceramic, porcelain – metal, and gold (See types of dental porcelain below). If the tooth has extensive decay or if there is a risk of infection or injury to the tooth’s pulp, a root canal treatment may be performed first.
A bridge, also known as a fixed partial denture, is a dental restoration used to replace a missing tooth by joining the crown permanently to 2 adjacent teeth on each side. A bridge allows the dentist to replace lost teeth without the use of a denture or dental implant. This method is a lot less expensive than an implant.
The disadvantage is that the teeth next to space have to be polished in order to accept the bridge. Due to the bridge is dependent of the 2 adjacent teeth, these 2 teeth need to be healthy. Bridges can be made from all ceramic, porcelain – metal, and gold, similar to crowns.
AM I A CANDIDATE FOR CROWNS/BRIDGES?
Crowns may be a good option for you if you have teeth that are badly damaged or worn out, you require major changes in size, shape, or alignment of teeth, and are committed to practicing good oral hygiene habits.
HOW IS PORCELAIN CROWN DONE?
The procedure of porcelain dental esthetics including the following steps:
- If the tooth has extensive decay or if there is a risk of infection or injury to the tooth’s pulp, a root canal treatment may first be performed.
- At Dr.Hung & Associates dental center, we try to maintain as much of your natural teeth as possible. A root canal is only performed when really necessary.
- Polishing tooth for crown placement. The crown covers the natural tooth, and therefore the tooth needs to be polished to make room for the crown placement. Then, an impression of the reduced tooth (or teeth) is taken.
- The customized porcelain crown is then manufactured in our lab in-house. The porcelain crown will be ready for placement after 1 day (from 1 -3 crowns) – 2 days (from 4 crowns + more). Meanwhile, our doctor will temporary fill the tooth for normal use.
- Crown placement procedures might take need 5 – 6 days if root canal treatment is needed.
Porcelain crowns are divided into several types depending on materials such as metal-ceramic crowns, precious metal crowns, and non-metal porcelain crowns.
At Dr. HUNG & ASSOCIATES DENTAL CENTER, we use some types of Non-metal porcelain crown from high-end brands, to guarantee the best result:
- E-MAX (generally used for front teeth)
- EMPRESS (generally used for front teeth)
- ZIRCONIA (generally used for molar)
- LAVA-ULTIMATE (a new material for both front teeth & molar)
All-ceramic or all-porcelain dental crowns provide better natural color match than any other crown type and may be more suitable for people with metal allergies. However, they are not as strong as porcelain-metal crowns and they wear down adjunction teeth a little more than a porcelain-metal crown.
The majority of all ceramic crowns are produced using computer technology, e.g. CAD/CAM technology which is based upon 3D design, which helps achieve almost-perfect crown fitting. CAD/CAM technology is commonly used in the crown design, dental implant planning, and placement.
At Dr. Hung & Associates Dental Center, our doctor will advise you on which type of porcelain is more suitable for your tooth/teeth based on the location of your missing teeth, your needs, and conditions. For example, dental porcelain would be the best choice for front teeth, porcelain- normal metal would be a more reasonable choice for molars if you need a cheaper cost with more chewing activity, porcelain-gold metal is the best for all your teeth with high cost, etc.
Image of Aesthetic porcelain crown to make a new feature for the worn teeth
At Dr. Hung & Associates Dental Center, you will be satisfied with 5-Star International Dental service standards: professional team, advanced equipment, lab in-house with CAD/CAM technique, highest quality warranty policy, relaxing space and the “Attentive – Gentle – Careful” service which will give you the perfect treatment result.
For more information please contact:
DR HUNG & ASSOCIATES DENTAL CENTER